Friday, December 9, 2011

LinkedIn "Experts"

About twice a month, I look at the "Answers" section on LinkedIn. If I come across a question I think I am qualified to answer and if I have time, I answer it. Over the past 15 months or so, I have answered 18 questions, of which four were selected "best" and two more - "good".

Today, I noticed that LinkedIn actually lists five most prolific "answerers" of the week (it's called "This Week’s Top Experts"). Ready for this? The #1 expert this week answered 560 questions! In one week! The second best - 513! And he appears to have a full-time job!

Let's crunch some numbers.

Including weekend, there are 168 hours in a week. Since the guy has a full-time job, it seems logical to assume that he works 40 hours a week. Let's assume that his commute to and from work is negligible (unlikely, but what the heck). Also, let's assume that he sleeps only five hours a day - that's 35 hours a week. Let's throw in three hours a week (25 minutes a day) for shaving, showering, etc. That leaves him 90 hours to give meaningful (one would hope) answers to over 500 questions (again, assuming that he has no life and that he gobbles his food in front of the computer), which equals to 10.5 minutes per question.

Can one actually type up a meaningful answer to a meaningful (that is such that really requires some "expertise" to answer) question in 10 minutes and 30 seconds? Probably, yes. But, let's face it, it is very unlikely that anyone lives his life the way I've just described.

Make your own conclusions...


Update:
LinkedIn discontinued "Answers" in 2012.

No comments: